What can I use a Stafford Loan for?
- Fixed interest rate - as low as 3.86%
- No payments while in school at least half-time
Stafford Loans can be used towards the total cost of education including the following:
- Room & board (including off-campus housing)
- Other education-related expenses
Your school determines how much you are eligible to borrow per semester. This is based on your student aid report from the Department of Education, and your grade level. Your student aid report (SAR) is sent to your school after the Department of Education processes the information on your FAFSA.
If your tuition is already paid for and you want to borrow the Stafford loan for other expenses you should check with the school to see if this is possible. Most schools will still let you borrow the loan if you can show you need it to help with other school related expenses. Depending on the college/university the check can be sent to you by mail, or it will be deposited in your school account.
If you have questions about how much you can borrow you should check with your financial aid office at your school for further details.
Stafford Loan Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I eligible for a Stafford Loan?
- How do I apply for a Stafford Loan?
- Are there Stafford Loan deadlines?
- What's the difference between unsubsidized and subsidized loans?
- When do I receive the Stafford Loan funds?
- What are the Stafford Loan interest rates?
- How much can I borrow under a Stafford Loan?
- What is EFC and how is it calculated?
- What can I use a Stafford Loan for?
- Are there specific schools that accept Stafford Loans?
- Do I have to apply for a Stafford Loan every academic year?
- Can I receive a Stafford Loan if I have bad credit/declared bankruptcy/have late payments on credit cards?
- Will I pay any fees for a Stafford Loan?
- What are the repayment options for a Stafford Loan?
- What are the penalties for early payment or if the loan is paid in full before scheduled (deferred) payments begin?